ICGA Update on Launch of Sexual Abuse Policy Task Force
In the name of Allah The Most Compassionate and The Most Merciful
December 15, 2018
In light of broader efforts to overhaul existing procedures and to address recent events surrounding a case of sexual assault on the UT campus that was brought to light within our community, the Board of Trustees of the Islamic Center of Greater Austin (ICGA) has assembled a task force. This task force is developing a set of concrete policies and procedures that will be applied in instances of verbal and/or physical abuse reported to our community institutions.
This task force, established in October 2018, is comprised of the following individuals:
– Sheikh Attia Emarah, Masjid Khadijah, Manor Road
– Br. Adel Hussain, ICGA Board of Trustees
– Sr. Sumrah Iqbal, ICGA Board of Trustees
– Sr. Yasmeen Khattab, ICGA Board of Trustees
– Sr. Rawand Abdelghani, Nueces Board of Directors
– Br. Sam Bakhshalian, Nueces Board of Directors
– Sr. Yasmin Turk, Evaluation & Compliance Analyst – SAFE Alliance
– Sr. Minha Ghani, Community Member
– Sr. Raneen Abdelghani, Community Member
– Sr. Carmel Abuzaid, Community Member
Our mission is to develop and execute a plan to train ICGA officers and employees in preventing and responding to all cases of verbal and physical assault, violence or harassment brought forward to our institutions and within our spaces.
The objectives of this task force are to:
– Study existing frameworks and mechanisms that address cases of harassment, assault, and conflict across other religious or secular institutions.
– Make use of third-party resources and professionals with expertise in the field of abuse and prevention to create policies.
– Outline a framework of procedures that will standardize how community leaders address instances of verbal, spiritual, or physical abuse within our institutions.
– Create policies and procedures that will protect those at risk of harassment or violence, and hold accountable those who violate the consent of other people within our community.
This framework, upon adoption by the Board of Trustees, will be implemented across all institutions affiliated with ICGA (Nueces Mosque, Masjid Khadijah, Austin Peace Academy). This framework will also be presented and made available to other Islamic Centers in Austin and beyond so that the larger community may benefit from our efforts. We plan to provide quarterly updates to the community on all progress and deliverables.