Shaykh – Director of Religious Affairs
ICGA is looking for a shaykh to join Masjid Khadijah and consult for ICGA. The shaykh is a crucial role and will mentor and support the community. The role of shaykh and Director of Religious Affairs will lead the community in daily salat, taraweeh support, provide Islamic counseling as needed, among other duties described below. Apply here or email your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following is a list of responsibilities expected by the Shaykh:
- Maintain regular and convenient office hours on site at Masjid Khadijah.
- Lead the community in daily salat; Taraweeh support; and upkeep of the salat schedule.
- Provide lessons enhancing the community’s knowledge in the Quran, Hadith, Seerah, Fiqh, etc on a regular, consistent cadence
- Offer Islamic counseling to any community members needing pastoral care.
- Deliver at minimum one Friday Khutbah each week for Jum’ah
- Maintain strong relationships with other Muslim and Non-Muslim Faith leaders and institutions in Austin
- Support new and renewed Muslims, through the development of programming and activities
- Support ICGA fundraising initiatives.
- Lead by example, and shepherd the community towards a higher state of faith and closeness to Allah (swt)
- Conducts themselves at all times in ways that foster unity and a sense of inclusion among all members of the local Muslim community and promote broad participation in Islamic and community activities.
- Provide consultation to the Board of Directors on religious matters, community issues, and Mosque activities as requested.
- Dedicated to continuous development – knowledge and spiritual
The Shaykh should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelors or higher degree in Islamic Studies from an accredited or highly recognized institution.
- Comprehensive or extensive knowledge of the Quran, Hadith – Sunnah, Aqeedah, Fiqh, and Shariah.
- Memorization of a significant portion of the Quran, with a fundamental understanding of Tafseer and Tajweed. (Hafidh preferred)
- Extensive knowledge in interfaith discourse.
- Ability to teach at varying levels of Islamic education; beginner to advanced.
- Empathy, Ability to listen attentively and patiently to all community members.
- Fluency in English & Arabic.
- Authorized to work in the United States. (US Citizen or Permanent Resident)
- Extensive experience in working with, teaching, and mentoring young American Muslims, High School Students, College Students, Young Professionals.
- Experience in working with, teaching and mentoring both brothers and sisters.
- Experience in educating and developing programming for new Muslims.
- Previous experience as Shaykh.
- Experience with conflict prevention and resolution.
- Ability to represent the Muslim community in public forums, and deal with the media.
Benefits and Compensation:
Salary range: 80k-85k
Provided Housing and Health Insurance
The Islamic Center Greater Austin (ICGA) oversees Masjid Khadijah, Austin Peace Academy, Masjid Nueces, and the Austin Muslim Cemetery. With our Shaykh, we aim to realize our vision according to our values as noted below:
- Vision: ICGA strives to establish a loving, merciful community which serves Allah (SWT) and our Austin-area ummah by bringing together Muslims of all backgrounds. We aim to be one Muslim body that positively contributes to the wellness and vibrance of the city of Austin sustainably.
- Mission: Cultivating a welcoming space dedicated to the educational and spiritual development of all of our Ummah and in service to our Austin Community.
- Grounded by Truth: Our decisions and educational offerings are rooted in the best of guidance: the Quran and Sunnah.
- In Service: We strive to be in continuous service to our growing community.
- Sustainability: We seek and work to have full sustainability within our foundational model from all platforms: financially, economically, and environmentally.
- Building Each Other Up: We believe in building others to the best versions of themselves. By investing in the growth of others, we will become better leaders and a stronger, united community.
- Relevant: We stay in tune with the contemporary needs of the community and we actively cater to them.
About Masjid Khadijah and the Community:
Coming out of the pandemic and with the election of three new board members in 2022, we are in a period of transformation and revitalization. As Austin as a city grows, we are experiencing hypergrowth within the Muslim community. Most notably, we have experienced a growth in newcomers from refugee populations as well as tech workers and their families from other parts of the US. Our community is diverse in terms of background, socio-economic, and tenure with Islam. We have a sizable convert community as well.
And alhamdulillah, our community is interested in re-engaging at all levels. We are in the midst of revitalizing all our foundational pillars, including our bylaws, organizational structure, and volunteer base via newly established volunteer committees.
We are also committed to engaging in the broader Austin community, inclusive of the police department, interfaith communities, intrafaith communities, community service organizations and more.
It is our hope that the ICGA Shaykh will act as a source of spiritual and lifely guidance as we aim to elevate our Ummah here in Austin, while acting as a beacon of light and goodness in the broader Austin community.